Small Stocks, Big Gains in the Oil Patch
Chernoff, who owns the stock, concedes that the company's operating costs can be high. But he says that operating margins "skyrocket" when oil prices surge.
Indeed, Encore this July reported "record" second-quarter results as it ramped up production and collected higher prices for its fuel. Two days later, Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Phillip Pace began recommending the stock.
"The theme we are trying to position for is the increasing value of probable resources in a higher price environment," Pace explained. "The net result of this is visible growth with good returns into the next decade."
Encore's stock climbed 30 cents to $33.60 on Friday and is up nearly 50% in a year.Still, Chernoff insists that many investors tend to overlook Encore because the company will never announce a big find like those that score sexy headlines. Instead, he says, Encore quietly pumps more and more oil at increasingly high margins. "They do it over and over again. ... But what they're doing," he adds, "I don't think too many people are noticing."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV