Oracle's Bid Hasn't Brought Merger Mania
"What we are finding is that rather than the large companies thinking through growth prospects and revenue enhancements in a deal, we're seeing a lot of analysis go into cost savings," said Karl Will, head of tech M&A at J.P. Morgan Chase in San Francisco. That's a different approach for tech than in the past, said Will, whose firm advised Computer Associates on its $430 million Netegrity acquisition announced last week.
Still, "in this environment, like most, M&A deals are rare," Will added. "There's little in the way of catalysts forcing people to do transactions -- forcing in a good way."
But companies are pursuing acquisitions for the right reasons and not the wrong ones, Will said, citing the "me, too" attitude a few years ago when deals begat deals. "I'd characterize it as a very healthy M&A environment," he concluded.
This could very well mean that rather than embark on an acquisition binge, software companies are more likely to control their appetites.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV