More Options on Covered Calls
Employing covered calls remains one of the most popular and basic options trading strategies, but also one of the most overused or misapplied.
Some newly launched funds can help individual investors introduce a slice of this conservative, but somewhat labor intensive, strategy into their long-term portfolio investment pie. (For a primer on covered calls, click here.)
In July, the (MCN)Madison/Claymore Covered fund raised $260 million, and in August, (FFA)First Trust/Fiduciary Asset Management Covered Call fund raised $338 million. Unlike some existing mutual funds that use options, these two are closed-end funds, meaning they will not be accepting new investors or even new money from existing investors. But one can buy (and sell) stakes in their publicly traded shares.
Both funds are benchmarked to the Chicago Board Options Exchange's (CBOE) BXM Buy Write Index (BXM). Last year, I wrote about the CBOE licensing its BXM Index to be named as both a benchmark and replicated by money management firms in an attempt to bring covered-call strategies to the masses and capitalize on investors' desire to stabilize returns and reduce risk after a five-year roller coaster ride.The BXM Index is based on applying a purely mechanical buy-write program to the S&P 500 Index, in which 30-day at-the-money calls are sold against a long position in the underlying index. Click here for details on the construction and methodology of the BXM Index. The bottom line is that over the past 15 years, the BXM has delivered a compounded annualized return of 12.39%, slightly better than the SPX's 12.20%, but with 34% less volatility or market risk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV