US Airways Circles for Time
US Airways (UAIRQ) is throwing itself at the mercy of a bankruptcy court, warning that it will be forced to liquidate in mid-February if employees don't immediately cut their pay by 23%.
In a court filing, the beleaguered airline asked U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stephen Mitchell to sign off on its Section 1113(e) motion, which would temporarily rewrite the company's labor contracts, enabling it to cut costs immediately. US Airways wants to have these new agreements -- which include 23% pay cuts, lower pension obligations and the ability to fire employees regardless of seniority -- in place by Oct. 14.
With a weak balance sheet and heavy losses, US Airways entered bankruptcy without debtor-in-possession lending, which means the carrier is using cash to fund operations. But with high labor costs and oil above $50 a barrel, the airline is burning through its lifeblood and warned that it may have to liquidate in five months if it can't generate $200 million in cash to keep going.
The company said it anticipates "a neutral cash position through the end of 2004, but a substantial decline in available cash during January and February 2005 due to aircraft debt and lease payments and the seasonal decline in passenger revenue," US Airways said in a filing with the
Securities and Exchange Commission. "With the immediate relief requested, however, the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV