Google's Underwriters Like the Stock
WR Hambrecht's William J. Lennan Jr. initiates with a buy rating and a $140 target price. Calling Google a "pure play on the fastest-growing form of online advertising," Lennan writes, "We think Google is in the early days of an enormous opportunity, as online advertising still represents less than 3% of the global advertising market."
J.P. Morgan rates Google overweight and Thomas Weisel rates it outperform, but neither firm assigns a price target to the stock.
Acknowledging Google's tendency to invest in projects that are appealing to consumers but aren't "overtly advertiser friendly," Weisel's Christa Sober Charles writes, "We believe the likelihood that Google invests in negative [return on investment] projects is high, but that the option value for a potential stepfunction technological improvement over its competitors is also high. Ultimately, gaining a larger share of online advertising is a ratings game, and if Google can drive consumer traffic to its site, effectively improving its ratings, its share of online advertising should continue to increase."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV