US Airways Talks Set to Resume
Updated from 12:54 a.m. EDT
US Airways (UAIRQ) pilots have been ordered to return to the negotiating table to hammer out an agreement on wage concessions to help save the already bankrupt airline.
After a series of internal meetings in Charlotte, N.C., the union leadership representing US Airways' pilots have agreed to jump-start negotiations on management's latest offer, which the union received on Monday. Two weeks ago, the union balked at putting management's last offer to a general vote, helping push the company into bankruptcy for the second time in two years.
"This resolution, passed unanimously by our governing body, allows our pilot negotiators to proceed unrestricted and provides them with a renewed momentum to reach a tentative agreement ... We expect a fair resolution to the unfortunate circumstances we face," said Jack Stephan, spokesman for US Airways' pilots. "Both [pilots] and the company are in full agreement on the necessity of returning this airline to profitability. And we are prepared to work day and night to see that happen."Reaching consensus on management's latest proposal could be difficult. Pilots have been fractured by the issue of concessions, with union leaders willing to sacrifice to save the company, and local union representatives unwilling to compromise with a management team that failed during the first bankruptcy. "We have been telling all of our labor groups for the longest time that it was in everyone's best interest to reach agreements outside of bankruptcy court," said a spokesperson for the airline. "Now that we have filed Chapter 11, we're having to adjust our transformation plan and continue to negotiate to reach a consensual agreement, but may be forced to use the tools of the court that are available to us."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV