Transcat Focusing on Turnaround
Transcat (TRNS) reiterated its intent Tuesday to boost results at its flagging calibration services business.
The Rochester, N.Y., testing company said at its annual shareholder meeting that it expects to show strong first-half distribution products sales growth, with second-half gains returning to "more typical single-digit growth." Transcat said it plans to return to growth in calibration services, but will add to staffing in that business "only if new calibration business exceeds our capacity."
Transcat also said it hopes to show a 1-to-3-point margin gain across its operations.
The news comes a month after the company swung to a first-quarter loss, saying calibration services results in the quarter ended June 26 "did not meet our expectations." In the first quarter, calibration services sales fell 6.5% from a year earlier, and margins slumped 2.8 percentage points.On Tuesday, however, the company sounded a more hopeful note. "We made sizeable efforts in fiscal 2004 to improve financial performance and achieve operational efficiencies," said CEO Carl Sassano. "Our strategy in fiscal year 2005 is to focus on gaining business and market share with customers who value quality systems and operate in regulated environments." Transcat sells professional-grade test, measurement and calibration instruments and provides calibration and repair services to the process, life science and manufacturing industries. On Tuesday, its shares slipped 15 cents to $2.83.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV