Lowe's Rebound Safe at Home
Updated from 8:09 a.m. EDT
Lowe's (LOW) delivered nearly 18% earnings growth in its second quarter and said the swelling ranks of U.S. homeowners aren't acting like the country is on the doorstep of recession. The news sparked a 6% gain in the retail chain's shares and helped underpin a broader market rally.
"The housing market remains strong and vibrant," a company executive said at a post-earnings conference call with analysts. "Mortgage rates, while not as widely noticed, have actually declined and are hovering around 6%, a very attractive rate for buying a home."
The company also noted that consumer confidence is approaching a three-year high, that employment continues to improve and that U.S. home ownership rates are above 69% for the first time. "These are great signs for improved strength in the home improvement market and give us increased confidence."While Lowe's second quarter showed strong growth, net income was slightly below Wall Street estimates because of a since-reversed demand falloff in June. The Mooresville, N.C., retail chain earned $704 million, or 89 cents a share, in the three months ended July 30, up from $597 million, or 75 cents a share, last year. Sales rose 17.4% from a year ago to $10.17 billion, a company record, while same-store sales were up 5.1%, short of the company's expectations, vs. a 7% same-store sales increase last year. Analysts had been forecasting earnings of 91 cents a share on sales of $10.28 billion in the most recent quarter. Shares were recently up $3, or 6.4%, at $49.65. The stock price is roughly flat with last year's levels. Inflation in lumber prices benefited the quarter's results, Lowe's said, as lumber pricing is about 40% higher than it was last year. That favorably impacted same-store sales by 200 basis points.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV