American Eagle Profit Soars
American Eagle Outfitters (AEOS) reported a big rise in second-quarter profit and backed analysts' estimates for third-quarter earnings.
The company earned $29.6 million, or 40 cents a share, in the quarter ended July 31, compared to $8.1 million, or 11 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Total sales jumped 22.8% to $413.8 million, while same-store sales rose 12.7%.
Analysts had been calling for a profit of 38 cents a share on sales of $405 million.
Meanwhile, gross margin expanded to 39.7% from 33% a year ago. American Eagle cited an improvement in merchandise margins.In a statement, American Eagle said it is comfortable with the Wall Street consensus for third-quarter earnings of 47 cents a share, saying the sales momentum it saw in July has continued. That would compare to earnings of 25 cents a share a year ago. Shares of Warrendale, Pa.-based American Eagle were up 33 cents, or 1%, at $32.33 in early Thursday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV