More Storage Pain: Komag
Komag (KOMG) slashed earnings and revenue guidance Wednesday, adding its name to the long list of computer storage suppliers that saw demand fall off in the second quarter.
The San Jose, Calif., company expects to earn 27 cents to 30 cents a share on revenue of $101.4 million in the quarter, with operating margins a lower-than-expected 8% or 9%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call had been forecasting earnings of 35 cents a share on revenue of $105.1 million.
Komag, which makes the thin film that records data on disk drives, cited lower-than-expected shipments. The explanation echoes statements throughout the storage space, including warnings from Quantum (DSS), Storage Technology (STK) and Maxtor (MXO).
Komag was recently down 98 cents, or 8%, to $11.15 in premarket trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV