Light Revenue at Quantum
Tape-drive assembler Quantum (DSS) joined the long-list of technology suppliers reporting demand weakness Tuesday, saying first-quarter revenue will be $25 million light.
San Jose, Calif,-based Quantum expects revenue in the three months to June 27 to be $175 million, short of the Thomson First Call consensus of $200 million. The company said earnings will still be in line with previous estimates thanks to stronger-than-expected margins.
Quantum blamed two-thirds of the revenue shortfall on anemic business in the quarter's final two weeks, citing a pair of resellers for whom the company supplies tape drives and automation systems. It said weakness was spread across its major product lines in tape drive and storage systems, with a slightly worse situation in the former.
Also hurting revenue were media sales weighted more toward royalty contracts than branded sales and a slower-than-expected introduction of a new tape drive system.The stock closed Tuesday at $2.67.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV