Sonic Innovations Crushed
Sonic Innovations (SNCI) was the Nasdaq's biggest price loser Tuesday after lowering second-quarter earnings guidance because of changes in the German health care system.
The Salt Lake City hearing-aid manufacturer expects to earn 2 to 4 cents a share in the quarter on sales of $24 million to $25 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call had been expecting earnings of 7 cents a share on sales of $27.1 million for the quarter.
According to the company, the shortfall is attributable to the implementation of a 10-euro fee for specialist doctor visits in Germany this year, and a decrease in reimbursement for hearing aids. The actions will mean that first-quarter revenue from Germany will be the company's highest this year.
"The unfortunate timing of this change just as we are reaching the critical mass that helps us generate stronger profitability magnifies the short-term effect of this issue," the company said.Sonic Innovations' stock was recently down $3.37, or 37%, to $5.80.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV