Nortel Numbers Show Bonuses Were Bogus
(NT) true financial health remains
On Wednesday, Nortel served up some more details on its April accounting shocker. Saying internal audits would continue for at least another quarter, Nortel reiterated that cleaning up its books would slash 2003 earnings by some $300 million and eliminate last year's surprising first-half profit.
Most important, Nortel said for the first time that 2003's phantom profits came from its core business of selling telecom gear -- not from selling assets or other one-time events. That disclosure is crucial, because it draws a link between the company's oft-questioned executive pay incentive plan and the recent accounting missteps. Analysts and investors say the link could shed some light on this spring's firing of top execs including former CEO Frank Dunn.
The company paid out more than $50 million in bonuses to select officers last year after posting a surprising first-half profit. Dunn alone received $2.15 million, according to a report last month in The Globe and Mail of Toronto.Nortel's filings specify that the bonuses be paid only if the company reaches a profit on "pro forma earnings from continuing operations." But even at the time the company posted the stunning swing, the numbers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV