10% Tax Bracket OK'd by House
Part of President George W. Bush's tax-cut package may be here to stay, following a vote by the House of Representatives to make a permanent 10% tax bracket -- a move that would cut federal revenue by less than 1% over the next decade.
The 344-76 House vote is the first step in enshrining a lower rate this year on the first $7,000 of taxable individual income, a rate expanded in 2003 from $6,000. Before Bush's tax-cut package, the rate was 15%.
The move will cut revenue by about $218 billion over the next 10 years. In contrast, in fiscal 2003 alone, the federal government collected tax revenue of $1.97 trillion, according to the Internal Revenue Service.
It's the first of a series of possible votes on different parts of the Bush package, which are set to expire piecemeal between now and 2011.Clint Stretch, executive director of tax policy services at Deloitte & Touche in Washington, said the vote should escape most taxpayers' radar: The lower rate saved single taxpayers $350 on the first $7,000 on which they had to pay taxes; married couples saved $700 on the first taxable $14,000. He said that with this measure, a millionaire got the same break as a schoolteacher. "This is something they won't notice," he said. "What they would notice, and what would be received with displeasure, is if this did not occur. They would have to pay more, but they wouldn't feel it until next April." The Senate still must vote on the extension, he said. Other parts of the Bush tax-cut package that may go before Congress this year include the partial relief from the expanded alternative minimum tax, relief from the "marriage penalty" and the scheduled expiration of an increased child tax credit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV