Dividend Talk Sparks MGM
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) shot up on the Instinet premarket session after the company told investors it might pay them a special one-time dividend.
Shares of the storied movie studio were recently trading for $18.18, up $1.98, or 12%, from their Monday close. Monday night, the company issued a statement saying it was exploring several avenues for returning value to shareholders, including a special dividend that media reports have put between $6 and $9.
"In addition to the programs we have considered in the past, which have included our recent tender offer and our open market stock repurchase program, we also are exploring other alternatives, such as whether to recommend to our board a significant one-time dividend distribution to all our shareholders," the company said.
MGM, which is three-quarters owned by Las Vegas billionaire Kirk Kerkorian, has been grappling with a yearlong identity crisis, variously considering acquisitions including the Time Warner Entertainment assets, a going-private transaction, and a handful of mergers, according to reports. To date, nothing formal has been consummated.The company has about 235 million shares outstanding, which would mean a $6 dividend would cost $1.4 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV