aaiPharma Falls on Filing Delay
aaiPharma (AAII) shares fell before the open Monday after the troubled biotech company decided to delay the filing of its annual report because of what it recently described as "unusual sales."
The company mentioned the possibility earlier this month, when it announced the discovery of unusual sales involving two of its drugs and said it might have to make an adjustment in 2003 financial results. That triggered an investigation by a panel of independent directors and the withdrawal of 2004 earnings guidance.
Following the March 1 announcement, the company's shares plummeted as analysts downgraded the stock and even dropped coverage.
In a statement Monday, the company said "the independent inquiry is ongoing and neither the company nor the board will be commenting further at this time." aaiPharma said the filing date for its 2003 10-K form will be extended to March 30 from March 15.The filing delay involving the sales issue is the latest blow to the company. In February, aaiPharma announced it had set aside a $15.9 million reserve against revenue in the fourth quarter of 2003 to account for products that are returned. Shortly after that, aaiPharma said its chief operating officer was leaving to become president of a startup drug company. Shares fell 30 cents, or 3.1%, to $9.11 in premarket trading. Shares were at a 52-week high of $31.85 in early January.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV