Ameritrade Cools Off
Ameritrade (AMTD) raised the low end of its second-quarter earnings guidance Friday despite a cooling in its customer trading volume.
The Omaha, Neb., online brokerage expects to earn 16 cents to 19 cents a share in the quarter, compared with guidance it issued last month for earnings of 13 cents to 19 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson One Analytics expect the company to earn 18 cents a share in the quarter, which ends this month.
Ameritrade had average daily volume of 197,000 trades in February, down from January's record 254,000 average daily trades, as investors' appetite for stocks began tapering after a nearly yearlong bull run. The company said it opened 39,000 new accounts and closed 11,000 in February, after opening a net 37,000 in January.
The average margin balance among all its customers was about $3.5 billion in February, Ameritrade said, compared with $3 billion in January. Client margin loan balances totaled about $3.7 billion at Feb. 27, 2004, compared with $3.4 billion at Jan. 30.Ameritrade, along with rivals E*Trade (ET) and Schwab (SCH), have been major beneficiaries of stocks' rise over the last 12 months, with Ameritrade's shares running from below $5 to more than $15 before pulling back this week. On the Instinet premarket, Ameritrade was recently fetching $14.78, up 9 cents, or 0.6%, from their 4 p.m. EST Thursday close.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV