Calpers Opposes Five Hewlett-Packard Directors
Calpers, which owns 17.85 million voting shares in H-P, said it will withhold votes for directors Lawrence Babbio, Patricia Dunn, George Keyworth, Robert Knowling and Sanford Litvack. Besides expressing concern with the auditing issue, Calpers singled out Litvack for criticism: He "has a poor attendance record and a business relationship with the company that Calpers believes could impair his objectivity," the fund commented.
In an SEC filing, H-P said all directors attended at least 75% of board and committee meetings except for Litvack, who only showed up 63% of the time.
Litvack was a lawyer with the firm of Dewey Ballantine from March 2001 to December 2002. H-P retained the firm's legal services during fiscal 2003, which began in November 2002.
H-P will hold its shareowners meeting on March 17; the company's shares were recently up 12 cents, or 0.5%, to $22.45.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV