Millennium Hedge Fund Putting Up Legal Reserve
Amazingly, sources said some investors are still putting money into Millennium hedge funds, even after it warned existing investors about the legal reserve it established.
Millennium raised more than $1.5 billion between 2001 and last November; according to the industry newsletter MAR Hedge, much of it from large institutions.
Officials at the Duke Management Co. declined to comment on the university's investment with Millennium, but it is thought the school is among the many college endowments that put money into that and other hedge funds as they shifted away from equity markets after 2000.
The earliest investors are faring only somewhat better -- their agreements with Millennium allowed them to withdraw money once a year.Demand for redemptions hasn't ebbed, said the investor, who called Millennium's recent hiring of Simon Lorne, a former Securities and Exchange Commission general counsel, "a desperate attempt to make them appear more kosher." "People are pretty pissed off that they are activating this gate," the investor said. "People were hoping they wouldn't, and that they'd be let out. The harsh questions haven't been answered, like how it could happen on [Englander's] watch. I don't think one is coming."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV