Millennium Hedge Fund Running Out of Friends
Regulators have long eyed the dozens of hedge funds that reaped big profits from improper trading as potential deep pockets for reimbursing mutual fund shareholders.
TheStreet.com previously reported that Spitzer's office and the SEC advised Veras Investment Partners, another hedge fund, to set aside more than $100 million to cover the cost of a possible settlement for its role in the trading scandal. The Sugar Land, Texas, hedge fund, which is in the process of closing down, allegedly made improper trades in shares of funds sold by Fred Alger Management and Federated Investors (FII).
The mutual fund investigation began last September with Spitzer's announcement that he had reached a $40 million settlement with Canary Capital Partners, the New Jersey hedge fund run by Edward Stern.
Meanwhile, the exodus of investors from Millennium could have been far worse than the $800 million that's already been taken out. Under Millennium's partnership agreements, investors are generally obliged to leave their money in the funds for a minimum of three years.A spokesman for the fund also declined to comment on the investor withdrawals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV