Nextel Shares Cool on Fed's Push-to-Talk Probe
And in a note to clients Thursday, Bear Stearns analyst Phil Cusick suggested that Nextel's direct connect subscribers could represent a walled garden of sorts, akin to the millions of AOL IM users. As part of the conditions of the merger between AOL and Time Warner (TWX), the Federal Communications Commission required AOL to create an industry standard for IM, opening the doors to competing services as the technology evolved.
Antitrust experts said they doubted Nextel's dominance of direct connect represented a monopoly, but they point out that when Motorola and Nextel joined forces in push-to-talk in the mid-'90s, the DOJ intervened to assure that rivals wouldn't be blocked. Regulators resolved the matter by limiting Nextel's two-way radio spectrum and reserving space for competitors.
Former Justice Department attorney Charles Biggio isn't surprised to see the antitrust folks involved again.
"They've had some interest in this market for a few years. And they clearly seem to be monitoring the competitive issues," said Biggio, at attorney with Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld.Biggio says the DOJ may simply want to know the terms of the settlement reached between Verizon and Nextel. Last summer, Verizon sued Nextel accusing the No. 5 wireless company of using two prototype "push-to-talk" phones to gather sensitive information about Verizon's network operations. Given the growing importance of the walkie-talkie feature, the Justice Department is likely to try and squash any exclusive arrangements between controlling players. Nextel, the walkie-talkie standard bearer, has more than a little at stake, no matter what the outcome.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV