MetLife Earnings Surge
MetLife (MET) said fourth-quarter earnings were up 25% from year-ago levels, thanks to strong growth in premiums and annuity deposits.
The life insurance company had net income of $701 million, or 92 cents a share, compared with $561 million, or 78 cents a share, a year earlier. The results include an after-tax investment gain and a charge related to an accounting change.
Excluding those items, operating earnings were $565 million, or 74 cents a share, compared with $338 million, or 47 cents, a year earlier. On that basis, earnings were in line with estimates, according to First Call.
MetLife said fourth-quarter premiums and fees rose 10% to $6.4 billion from the year-ago period, while annuity deposits were up 21% to $2.8 billion from the same period a year earlier."We're pleased with our performance and continue to actively manage all aspects of our business for the long term," said CEO Robert Benmosche in a statement. "While the credit markets have continued to improve, we're rapidly growing assets under management, as well as premiums and fees," he added. "We are also appropriately managing our crediting rates to support our spreads while providing customers a competitive return." Shares of MetLife finished the regular session ahead 62 cents, or 1.8%, at $35.50
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV