Priceline, Orbitz Take Off
The strong reports came on the heels of InterActiveCorp's (IACI) bullish comments Monday on the travel business. Shares of priceline and Orbitz rallied in postclose trading Tuesday.
Priceline reported net income of $2.2 million, or 6 cents a share, topping the 4 cents expected by Wall Street and the net loss of $7.4 million, or 20 cents, it had a year ago. Net revenue, which excludes all fees and taxes as well as "Name Your Own Price" sales, came in at $180.2 million, down 8.7% from a year ago.
Gross travel bookings, which includes taxes and fees as well as the purchase price of travel, including those "Name Your Own Price" sales, came in at $256.2 million, a 12.2% increase from last year. Gross profit came in at $31.8 million, up 4.4% from last year, while gross margin rose to 17.7% from the year-ago 15.5%."The growth in total gross travel bookings and gross profit reflects a successful transition of our airline ticket business and a positive bottom-line financial result, before any new benefit from new airline ticket advertising," said Jeffery Boyd, priceline's CEO. Indeed, priceline's move beyond airfare reaped some benefit in the fourth quarter. The company said that bookings of hotel rooms rose 37% year over year, while car rental sales rose 62%. That said, airfare sales continued their decline, dropping 18% year over year, which is an improvement from the drop of 40% seen in the first nine months of fiscal 2003. Going forward, priceline said it was hopeful that the new pairing of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as company pitchmen would boost sales and reverse the slide in airfare sales. In the first quarter, the company said that earnings would come in between 6 cents and 10 cents a share, toward the high end of the 7-cent profit currently expected by Wall Street.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV