The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
Legal greens fees?
3. No, It's the Other Guy Who'll Be Playing Golf Now
And the winner of this week's award for Best Mistake in a Press Release goes to
(BSC), which confirmed our theory that somewhere out there, a lawyer is playing golf while billing his client $350 an hour.
In Thursday's announcement of who will succeed Mark E. Lehman as general counsel, Bear Stearns reported the hiring of Michael Solender, who previously was a partner at the esteemed law firm Arnold & Porter.
Except that's not exactly what Bear Stearns said. In fact, the firm noted that Solender had been a partner at "Arnold & Palmer" -- confusing the 57-year-old law firm with the 74-year-old golfer.
Of course, as much as we loathe playing golf, at least it's not as unpleasant as practicing law. So maybe we should let Solender have his fun.
4. A Comedy of ArrowsWe at the Five Dumbest Things Research Lab know better than to try to run a publicly traded company. Which is part of the reason why we politely request company presidents not to try to write witty market commentary. OK, we'll settle for just one president: Patrick Byrne, head of online closeout retailer Overstock.com (OSTK).
Let alone, Overstock.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV