SCO Group Sues Novell Over Unix
SCO's suit in a state court in Utah claims Novell's copyright registrations for Unix don't hold water and that its actions have irreparably harmed SCO's business. The action is part of a larger legal strategy in which the Lindon, Utah, company is trying to gain control of Linux by proving it legally controls part of its core embodied in Unix.
The company's shares have become a flyer on the litigation, which includes an ongoing suit against IBM (IBM). They took a hit about a week ago when SCO lost a motion that would have forced IBM to turn over the code, but were up 75 cents, or 4.8%, to $16.20 Tuesday -- well over 10 times their level at the start of 2003.
In its latest legal entanglement, SCO is charging that Novell has improperly filed copyright registrations in the U.S. Copyright office for Unix technology covered by SCO's copyrights. Novell's false and misleading representations that it owns Unix copyrights have caused SCO irreparable harm to its copyrights, its business and its reputation, SCO charges in a slander suit.SCO is seeking an injunction as well as damages. A Novell spokesperson was not immediately reachable for comment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV