Duane Reade Going Private in $700 Million LBO
Duane Reade (DRD) agreed to be taken private at $17 a share in a $700 million leveraged buyout led by Oak Hill Capital.
Duane Reade's stock closed Monday at $15.22 but had traded in the mid-$18 range as recently as early September. The drugstore chain's shares have never recovered from the battering they received following a second-quarter 2002 earnings warning, prior to which they were fetching more than $30 each.
Buying out the publicly held stock will cost $415 million, with the remainder of the overall price tag covering assumed debt.
Robert M. Bass-founded Oak Hill will provide the buyout's equity financing while the debt portion is being arranged by Banc of America Securities. As is customary in leveraged buyouts, Duane Reade's upper management tier, including Chief Executive Anthony Cuti, will own an equity slice in the reorganized company."We are confident that this agreement delivers excellent value to our stockholders while allowing us to effectively confront near-term industry challenges by affording us a degree of flexibility that we would not have as a public company," Cuti said in a statement. "We believe the partnership with Oak Hill will provide an opportunity to investigate new avenues to improve the business, while maintaining our leadership position in the metro New York market." Cuti said customers, employees and business associates should expect a "seamless transaction." The buyout was approved by independent members of Duane Reade's board with Bear Stearns advising. The deal is still contingent on stockholder and regulatory approval and the receipt of financing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV