New Jersey Banks to Merge
Under terms of the deal, First Sentinel's shareholders can receive either 1.09 shares of Provident's common stock, $22.25 in cash, or a combination of cash and stock. The price represents a premium of 18.5% over First Sentinel's closing stock price of $18.78 on Dec. 19.
The merged company will operate as Provident Bank, which will absorb all of First Sentinel's First Savings Bank operations. With $6.4 billion in assets and $4.1 billion in deposits, Provident will be the eighth-largest bank in the state.
The deal is expected to close by the end of the second quarter of 2004, and it will add about 11.5% to Provident Financial's estimated 2004 earnings.Provident shares fell 96 cents, or 4.71%, to $19.41, while shares of First Sentinel gained $2.79, or 14.86%, to $21.57.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV