Does Your Fund Meet Its Fiduciary Responsibilities?
Pulling up the rear among the scandal-plagued funds was Amvescap (AVZ) unit Invesco, which ranked No. 225, with less than 2% of its 43 funds ranking "passed" or "acceptable." (TheStreet.com raised red flags about Invesco funds back in October. For more details, click here.)
TheStreet.com favorite Matthews Asian funds ranked No. 1, while five families, including Kinetics and Van Wagoner, tied for dead last.
Here's a link to the entire list. A few points of note: Certain fund firms that TheStreet.com has touted, such as Dodge & Cox and Mairs & Power, don't turn up on the list. Trone explained that the screen included fund families with at least five mutual funds. Dodge & Cox has only four funds and Mairs & Power has only two -- however, the firms would have ranked in the top 20 had they been included.
Another interesting point: The rankings didn't factor in the scandal in any quantifiable way -- no points were taken off for market-timing. Essentially, the rankings suggest that allowing abusive trading and failing to measure up from a fiduciary responsibility standpoint go hand in hand.The top 10 fund firms, in order, were: Matthews Asian Funds; Advance Capital I Group; Bridgeway Funds; Elfun Funds; Oakmark Funds; RS Funds; TD Waterhouse Funds; Vanguard Group; Undiscovered Managers Funds; and Wasatch Funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV