The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
1. Grasso Put Out to Pasture
Sure, we made fun of him. But we already miss him.
Yes, we at the Five Dumbest Things Research Lab have spent the past few weeks making snide remarks about Dick Grasso's supersized pay package and trapezoidal cranium.
But now that Grasso has stepped down from his post as chairman of the New York Stock Exchange, we're suddenly misty-eyed. Not that we were exactly fond of Grasso, but we liked having him around to pick on. Now that he's left the building, there's an empty space in our hearts.Yes, after Grasso tendered his resignation Wednesday evening, we finally understand how The Washington Post's legendary editorial cartoonist Herb Block felt after Nixon resigned, or how Darth Vader felt after he whacked Obi-Wan Kenobi. A self, in part, is defined by an Other. And one of our Others is gone. Well, almost gone. Details of Grasso's severance package are no doubt being ironed out as you read this. Which gets us to thinking about one particular event of the past two weeks -- the moment on Sept. 9 when, in an attempt to defuse the outrage sparked by the $139.5 million due Grasso, the NYSE chairman told the board he would forgo an additional $48 million due him.
|Good Night, George
This is one less trapezoidal cranium you'll have to polish anymore
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV