No, It's Not Too Late to Buy Stocks
The world economy might be improving, or it might be on the verge of ruin. The Iraq conflict might inhibit consumer confidence, or maybe no one cares. Auto unions might strike, soybean prices might explode, a hurricane might blow the Pentagon into Pennsylvania and the Red Sox might win the World Series.
All things are possible, but for twice-burned investors fretful about whether to tiptoe back into the surging stock market, only one thing is certain: No major bottom in financial history was easy to call at the time. Each was obscured by flaws that forced private investors to the sidelines to await one last piece of data that would make the future more clear.
Yet no such final, irrefutable evidence ever comes. Investing must be done without certainty because reward only comes with risk. If you weren't scared, it wouldn't be the right time.
After all, the very best time to have invested this year was back in March when the world, at the onset of war, looked its bleakest. Some intrepid souls obviously did take advantage of those moments, and they made out handsomely. The rest of the world could only watch with wonder.
It's Still a Good Time to Jump InPaul Desmond, president of Florida-based institutional stock research firm Lowry's Reports, says this phenomenon occurs because "there is not enough money to allow everyone to profit." And he notes that the phenomenon continues today, after six months of rally, as investors who failed to participate at the start now complain that valuations are too rich, and a crash is surely imminent, among other sorrows.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV