Take-Two Softens Image, Ignites Shares
Shares of Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO) took off Wednesday after the video game maker beat third-quarter estimates, raised guidance for the rest of the year and announced the acquisition of family-friendly gamemaker TDK Mediactive (TDKM).
Shares of Take-Two gained a hefty $6.25, or 21%, to reach $36, a new all-time high, in recent trading. Shares of TDK climbed 14 cents, or 33.8%, to 54 cents in recent trading.
New York-based Take-Two, maker of the wildly popular Grand Theft Auto franchise, reported third-quarter net income of $7.7 million, a 60% increase from $4.8 million in the year-ago period. On a per-share basis, net income rose 50% to 18 cents from 12 cents a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 17 cents a share.
Sales for the third-quarter ending July 31 climbed 27% to $155.6 million, higher than the consensus estimate of $144.8 million.Take-Two said it will purchase TDK Mediactive for about $22.7 million. Take-Two will pay 55 cents a share to TDK Mediactive stockholders, representing a 37.5% premium over Tuesday's close of 40 cents. Take-Two also will purchase $9.9 million in debt and pay $200,000 to retire outstanding stock options for TDK. TDK reported a net loss of $8.3 million, or 36 cents a share, on $42.2 million in revenue in the fiscal year ended March 31. TDK brings such family-friendly names as Shrek, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Muppets to Take-Two, which has been criticized as a one-hit wonder with its bloody but successful Grand Theft Auto. Take-Two and TDK Mediactive also have entered into a separate agreement providing Take-Two with exclusive North American distribution rights for TDK titles including The Haunted Mansion, scheduled for a mid-October launch in advance of the Thanksgiving release of the Disney feature film. "I think what
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV