Bottom of the Barrel: The Art of the Sale
While I was traveling last week, I received an email that made me think long and hard about one of the more difficult tasks for an investor: selling. Because this reader's email asked about a couple of Bottom of the Barrel stocks, I figured it was time to think about the process of deciding when to sell your small-caps.
Compared with deciding when to buy, knowing when to sell is a chore. Hundreds of theories exist about when to sell, and all of them are right and wrong, depending on your investing philosophy and risk tolerance.
Ironically, selling discipline is always more difficult than buying discipline, largely because selling is always remembered. Just think about the sales you've second-guessed and compare them with the bad buys you remember. The sales stick out more vividly, at least more often than the reasons why you bought the stocks in the first place.
Fundamentally DrivenMost of my selling discipline is fundamentally driven. I've
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV