Wal-Mart Sales, Earnings Jump
Wal-Mart (WMT) said second-quarter earnings rose on an 11.3% jump in revenue as both its Wal-Mart stores and international segments posted double-digit sales gains.
The world's largest retailer had net income from continuing operations of $2.3 billion, or 52 cents a share, on revenue of $62.6 billion, compared with earnings of $2.0 billion, or 45 cents a share, on revenue of $56.27 billion last year.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were forecasting earnings of 52 cents a share and revenue of $63.40 billion.
Overall same-store sales for the quarter were up 3.2%, reflecting a 3.1% same-store sales increase for Wal-Mart Stores and a 3.6% same-store sales increase for its Sam's Club segment. By segment, the Wal-Mart division put up sales of $42.5 billion, up 10.2% from a year ago, while Sam's had sales of $8.6 billion, up 7.7%, and the international division had sales of $11.5 billion, up 18.8%.The shares were down a penny at $58.70 on the Instinet premarket session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV