Contrarians' Day: Unleashing the Dow Dogs
If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you?
When it comes to investing, the answer is probably yes. But there's a perfectly good antidote to buying high and selling low, and it's most likely something your mother never told you: contrarian investing.
Contrarian investing is a simple way to benefit from investors' tendency to be most optimistic when the market is peaking and most pessimistic when the market is bottoming. In his seminal Stocks for the Long Run, Jeremy Siegel lists contrarian investing first in his section on "return-enhancing strategies," citing evidence that "contrarian strategies of increasing stock exposure when most investors are bearish and decreasing exposure when they are bullish can improve long-term returns."
Of course, contrarian investing means different things. For some, it means buying out-of-favor stocks. For others, it means running like hell from an overvalued market. Today's Financial Education column will discuss a more moderate contrarian approach: The Dow 10 strategy, also known as the Dogs of the Dow.The strategy is simple: Buy equal amounts of the 10 highest-yielding stocks among the 30 components of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and hold them for a year. At the end of each year, rebalance the portfolio to reflect the new top-10 highest-yielding Dow components. Among the Dow 10 currently: Philip Morris (MO), SBC Communications (SBC) and J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM).
|The Dogs of the Dow
These 10 stocks currently have the highest yields among the Dow industrials.
|Stock Yield||on 6/13/03|
|Eastman Kodak (EK)||5.84%|
|General Motors (GM)||5.52%|
|SBC Communications (SBC)||4.46%|
|J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM)||3.92%|
|International Paper (IP)||2.64%|
*Yield as of June 13.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV