Contrarians' Day: Gold May Have More Upside
Gold has proved itself to be the ultimate contrarian bet against the market over the past three years. So is the gold rush over, or is there still time for individual investors to profit from this trend?
It depends: If you think the economy is reviving and the bull market has returned, you may not think you have much need for gold. However, the verdict is still out on a recovery -- and if we get one, it doesn't automatically mean a return of the bull.
If you believe the economy and the markets are still in for tough sledding, many investors might consider adding some gold to their portfolio. While gold's enormous rally may signal the easy money to be had is gone, some savvy professionals think the gold rally has plenty of life.
"I think we're in the early stages of a bull market for gold," said First Eagle Funds co-president Jean-Marie Eveillard in a recent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV