Merck to Spin Off Medco Health
Merck (MRK) has told securities regulators it will spin off Medco Health Solutions, its wholly owned pharmacy benefits management unit.
The pharmaceutical company had planned last year to offer shares of Medco through an initial public offering, but will now instead spin off the unit to Merck shareholders. Medco will borrow $1.5 billion from Merck as part of the spinoff. The proceeds from the borrowing will be paid to Merck as part of a dividend from Medco.
Merck expects to complete the spinoff in the third quarter. Medco had sales of $33 billion last year.
Medco's planned IPO was scrubbed last summer because of weak market conditions. Just before the public offering plan was pulled, a published article said the unit had recorded revenue from co-payments made by consumers for prescriptions.While the practice didn't affect earnings, it led to worries that Merck was using aggressive accounting techniques. Those fears threatened to tarnish Merck's reputation at a time when the investing public was growing increasingly concerned about the business practices of corporate America. Shares of Merck closed Wednesday at $55.74 on the New York Stock Exchange.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV