Watch for the Third Rail at Corning
This article first appeared May 14 on RealMoney. To read Arne's commentary regularly, please click here for a free trial.
The game is up. The buildout is over. Shareholders of Corning (GLW) are in for a rude awakening. This $7 billion market-cap company could very well lose much of its equity value in the near future.
As those rail manufacturers soon learned, though, once the rail lines were built, the manufacturers became irrelevant. The owner of the railroad, the product distributors and consumers reaped the benefits of the railroad, not the rail manufacturer.With the current glut of telecom routes and excess capacity in the fiber industry, the market for fiber-optic components has been in a free fall. Corning's competition is fierce -- as I'm sure it was, postboom, for rail manufacturers in the 1800s -- from the likes of Furukawa OFS, Fujikura, Alcatel (ALA), Pirelli, Draka, Sumitomo and others. When I break down a company, I like to start with the basics. First, the market values Corning's business at $7 billion. What do investors get for $7 billion? Let's look at a simplified picture of the revenue stream:
|Stream Running Dry
Revenue per share keeps slipping
|The Balance-Sheet Story
Here are three of the latest chapters
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV