Bonus Payout Raises Hackles on Nortel Profit
No one's happier with the market's rejection of pro forma accounting than Nortel (NT) executives. Of course, with a $50 million annual bonus pool you'd be smiling too.
Last Thursday, the Brampton, Ontario-based, phone gearmaker posted a first-quarter profit.
Now Wall Street wonders if the future might hold more unpleasant surprises for investors. Some observers question how Nortel can justify the incentive payments, pointing to a regulatory filing that lays out a pro forma profitability standard that the company doesn't appear to have met in the latest quarter. (Conveniently, Nortel said in its earnings report that it will no longer report pro forma numbers.) The questions loom large because senior executives stand to rake in much bigger bonuses if the company stays profitable for the rest of the year.
Nortel declined several requests for comment, and analysts who have been briefed by the company say it calls the executive bonus payout immaterial. But not everyone is convinced.Lehman Brothers analyst Steve Levy, who was one of the first to put an asterisk on Nortel's profit claims, said after a briefing with Nortel bigwigs, "We still have questions about how they measure profits which trigger the bonus." (Levy has a neutral rating on the stock and his firm has no banking ties to the company.)
Diving InThere's no question that Nortel made money last quarter. The question is whether those profits should trigger the bonus payments. A look at regulatory filings suggests not. The return-to-profit bonus plan was first mentioned in a quarterly Securities and Exchange Commission filing last fall. According to that document, Nortel profits are defined as "pro forma earnings from continuing operations."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV