Verizon Chief's Reign Ends, but Gravy Train Thunders On
Forget about the golden handshake. The time has come for the diamond-encrusted farewell.
With all the comings and goings lately in telecom, it's easy to be distracted by the gaudy paychecks being doled out to new executives. This past year, three of the industry's leading outfits -- Lucent (LU), Sprint (FON) and MCI -- each handed incoming CEOs at least twice as much scratch as their handsomely compensated predecessors.
But as good as the new bosses have it, the old bosses haven't quite been forced out onto the street to raise spare change. No, quite the contrary. It seems the royal perks like those heaped on GE's (GE) retired CEO, Jack Welch, aren't so much the exception as they are the rule.
You may recall last year's revelation that Welch's retirement benefits included unfettered access to a corporate jet, a company-owned New York apartment, paid memberships to various country clubs and a few other things.Now consider Charles "Chuck" Lee, Verizon's (VZ) former co-CEO. Thanks to a sweet severance deal he signed in 1999, coming up on the market's closest point to the sun, Lee almost makes Welch look second-rate. Not only does Lee get all the nice stuff listed above, but he collects $3 million a year for his work as a consultant to Verizon. Lee quit his co-CEO job a year ago, giving Ivan Seidenberg sole control of the office. In addition to his consulting, Lee serves as non-executive chairman. Lee also happens to have been the highest-paid telco executive last year, raking in $15.6 million in total compensation, according to federal filings and Multex. That dwarfs the paltry $9.5 million Seidenberg pulled down.
|Verizon's Chuck Lee|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV