Trading on Trend Lines, Not Headlines
This column appeared first on RealMoney. For a free trial subscription to RealMoney and access to all of Dan Fitzpatrick's pieces, click here.
Everyone has his or her own reason for trading. That's what makes the market so fascinating. A collective group of individuals, each with the power of independent thought (yet with a tendency toward herd mentality), push and pull on the same securities for different reasons.
People interpret news differently. Rarely is a significant market move attributable to a single news event. It happens -- and will likely happen as the war grinds to a conclusion. But don't count on being able to capitalize on the news for consistent profitability. Instead, use squiggly lines.
Linens 'n Things
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV