Microtune Jumps 42% After Winning Patent Suit
Shares of Microtune were up 75 cents at $2.51 in morning trading, while shares of Broadcom were down 14 cents at $15.85.
A jury in an East Texas District Court found that Broadcom willfully infringed on a Microtune patent that protects the company's MicroTuner single-chip tuner.
Texas-based Microtune said in a press release that it "anticipates the court will schedule a hearing within 30 days to consider the issues of granting an injunction with respect to the infringing tuners and to determine the amount of damages to enter on the basis of the jury's determination of infringement" of the patent.The case is just one of a string of disputes that the two companies have filed against each other. California-based Broadcom filed a complaint alleging that Microtune engaged in unfair trade practices by importing tuners, power amplifiers and wireless-technology products that infringe on Broadcom patents, while Microtune alleged that Broadcom engaged in anticompetitive practices in the bundling of some chips. Microtune designs, manufactures and markets radio frequency-based solutions for the global broadband communications, automotive electronics and wireless connectivity markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV