Overture Reaches Out and Investors Flee
How MSN and Yahoo! (YHOO) react to the deal is evidently a major concern of investors. Yahoo! recently signaled its own entry into the algorithmic search business with a deal to acquire Inktomi (INKT), and Microsoft was rumored to be interested in making its own algorithmic search acquisition, says Sullivan.
In response to an analyst's question Tuesday about partners' reaction to the news, Meisel said, "We simply haven't run into any concerns."
Overture, which earlier this month forecast 2003 full-year earnings per share in the range of 90 cents to $1.05, cut its forecast to a range of 60 cents to 70 cents. The acquisitions should be accretive to earnings by mid-2004, says Overture, and should, at a minimum, be neutral to earnings for full-year 2004.
Ethan McAfee, an analyst at Capital Crossover Partners, said that following Tuesday's drop, Overture's stock "is looking much more attractive." McAfee said he had no current holdings in Overture, though he has invested in the company in the past. "Five years from now, the [search] market will be five times what it is today," McAfee said. "The current valuation probably doesn't reflect that adequately."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV