Johnson & Johnson to Buy Scios for $2.4 Billion
Scios focuses on small-molecule inhibitors, and its potential drugs include several potential treatments for pain and inflammatory diseases. It already sells a drug called Natrecor, for congestive heart failure, which it expects to genrate $170 million in revenue this year.
The transaction has been approved by the boards of both companies but will require government antitrust clearance and an affirmative vote by Scios shareholders. Scios' shares were recently up $1.46, or 3.5%, to $43.66 on the news, after rising 22% on initial reports of the deal Friday.
Johnson & Johnson expects the deal to close in the second quarter and reduce full-year earnings by 5 cents in 2003 and 2004. The company will also record a charge of $700 million, or 23 cents a share, for in-process research and development.Johnson & Johnson's shares were recently down 27 cents, or 0.5%, to $51.57.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV