Johnson & Johnson to Buy Scios for $2.4 Billion
Scios focuses on small-molecule inhibitors, and its potential drugs include several potential treatments for pain and inflammatory diseases. It already sells a drug called Natrecor, for congestive heart failure, which it expects to genrate $170 million in revenue this year.
The transaction has been approved by the boards of both companies but will require government antitrust clearance and an affirmative vote by Scios shareholders. Scios' shares were recently up $1.46, or 3.5%, to $43.66 on the news, after rising 22% on initial reports of the deal Friday.
Johnson & Johnson expects the deal to close in the second quarter and reduce full-year earnings by 5 cents in 2003 and 2004. The company will also record a charge of $700 million, or 23 cents a share, for in-process research and development.Johnson & Johnson's shares were recently down 27 cents, or 0.5%, to $51.57.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV