ASCO Again Aims to Plug Information Leak
"We commend ASCO for understanding industry concerns and working quickly to find a fair solution that can be acceptable to physicians, investors and publicly traded companies," says Neil Cohen, a Genentech spokesman.
Says SG Cowen analyst Eric Schmidt: "This isn't a bad thing as long as there is equal and fair dissemination of the research abstracts. The past couple of years have been a real disaster for ASCO."
Scott Gottlieb, a doctor and fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, disagrees. Gottlieb believes ASCO should have decided to make a general public release of its abstracts in advance of the annual meeting. Instead, ASCO's actions bolster his view that the group is more interested in preserving the importance of its meeting rather than actually helping doctors treat patients with cancer.
"It seems ASCO is still in the business of restricting information, but now nobody can have it," says Gottlieb. "It still presumes average people are too stupid to interpret bottom-line results without the help of the conference. This will probably hurt the quality of the conference for its members, so I'm surprised
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV