Travelers Property Casualty Sees $1.3 Billion Charge
Travelers Property Casualty (TAP.A) will take a $1.3 billion charge in the fourth quarter to boost its reserve for asbestos claims, wiping out the company's earnings for the year.
Travelers will boost the reserve to $3.4 billion from $950 million, resulting in the $1.3 billion after-tax charge. The balance of the reserve adjustment is covered by an indemnification policy with Citigroup (C), its former parent.
The charge will result in a 2002 loss of about $27 million, or 3 cents a share. The company will lose $793 million, or 79 cents a share, in the fourth quarter.
"This reserve strengthening reflects a conservative view of trends that have become clearer over the last few quarters and our estimate of the projected ultimate cost of our asbestos liabilities," Travelers said.Moody's Investors Service, following the Travelers announced, lowered its credit rating on the insurer's long-term debt by one notch. The credit agency took the action because the $1.3 billion charge exceeded its own estimate of Travelers' asbestos liability. For 2003, the company expects to earn $1.7 billion and to post operating earnings of $1.8 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV