Eleven Picks for Wi-Fi Greatness
As financial journalists have grown distrustful of fundamental analysis in recent months, they've turned to technical or price-driven views of the market.
Epic stories about companies and their supposedly heroic managers that dominated business news outlets in the 1990s have gone out the court house window. Instead, tortured statistical theories, ranging from January barometers to presidential election cycles, have come in through a crack in the cellblock door.
How dull. These approaches say more about reporters' emotional response to being duped by corporate leaders and brokerage analysts than about real needs of investors.
So, in the spirit of innovation and rejuvenation, I'd like to turn my back briefly on the numerical view of the markets that SuperModels has trademarked, and instead work together with readers to focus on the people and businesses that have survived the worst bear market in two generations.Working together, surely we can come up with some major economic and technological trends to ride through 2003 and beyond. Last year, the winning idea would have been gold-mining companies, regional banks and bonds -- all of which were amply proposed by readers in cheery emails not long after 2002 had gotten under way.
Readers' Wi-Fi PicksLet's start with the wireless local-area network market that I wrote about at length a month ago. I asked readers for suggestions on companies that were poised to take advantage of this technology's undeniable growth prospects. And I received more than 200 responses in return.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV