Signs of Life in Capital Markets
Updated from 3:26 p.m. EST
While analysts and investors debate whether the recent rally is sustainable, a host of companies seized the opportunity to raise cash by offering stock and debt to the public.
After almost grinding to a halt this summer, the IPO and follow-on markets have been invigorated this month, with 46 issues debuting so far, according to Dealogic. That's the highest number since June, when 79 deals were sold.
Over WaterInvestors reacted warmly to the IPOs, with Safety rising 8% to $12.95 on its debut Friday, while restaurant chain Cosi rose 7% to $7.51. Impac Medical, which went public Wednesday, surged 18% on its first day of trading and has continued to climb since. Even some of those companies selling additional stock have fared reasonably well. Macerich, which said it would sell 13.2 million shares at $29 each, was up 0.6% Friday to $29.20 and Great Plains, which priced 6 million shares at $22, rose 2% to $22.57. Companies that conduct follow-on offerings typically see their share prices fall as the new equity dilutes existing ownership, so gains, however muted, are a victory.
New BorrowingIn another encouraging sign, corporate debt issuance has grown this month as interest rates sit at 40-year lows, spreads between corporate bonds and U.S. Treasuries have narrowed and investor demand remains strong. Indeed, 107 corporate bonds have been issued so far this month -- the highest level since June. J.P. Morgan (JPM), Household International (HI) and Bank of America (BAC) all sold about $1 billion in debt this week, while IBM (IBM) raised over $2 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV