Staples Beats Estimates as Margins Improve
Staples (SPLS) posted earnings that handily beat expectations as revenue and margins continued to improve. The stock closed Tuesday at $18.39, up $2.16 or 13.31%.
The office-supply retailer said third-quarter net income totaled $128 million, or 27 cents a share, up from $91.3 million, or 20 cents a share, a year earlier. Wall Street expected the company to earn 24 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial/First Call. Staples also said it expects to meet fourth-quarter estimates of 32 cents.
The results, which Staples attributed to "stronger than expected top-line growth, solid margin growth and continued success in improving operating margins," bucked the downward earnings trend among other retailers posting this week.
Sales were $3.1 billion, compared with $2.8 billion a year ago. Comparable store sales grew 3%, the company said, in part due to gains in its online operations. Retail-only comparable sales increased more than 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV