Neurocrine Says Sleeping Pill Data Are Good
Neurocrine Biosciences (NBIX) said Thursday that results from the first late-stage study of its experimental sleeping pill proved the drug to be effective and safe in patients with transient insomnia.
Results from the 593-patient, phase III clinical trial demonstrated that a capsule formulation of the drug Indiplon allowed people to fall asleep quickly without feeling drowsy the following day. The study achieved statistically significant results in both its primary and secondary endpoints, which used machines to measure objectively the onset and quality of a person's sleep.
In addition to this study, Neurocrine is currently conducting four additional phase III clinical trials with the capsule formulation of Indiplon and three phase III trials with a tablet form of the drug. The studies will be used to eventually support an approval application for multiple indications associated with insomnia.
If approved, Indiplone will compete against prescription sleeping pills such as Ambien, which is marketed by Sanofi-Synthelabo (SNY).Neurocrine is expected soon to hammer out a comarketing deal with a major pharmaceutical maker. Shares of Neurocrine closed Wednesday at $46.29.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV