A Few Insiders Saw Value Before the Rally
Investors might have been tipped to the current rally in stocks by the recent behavior of a few corporate insiders.
In the past few weeks, a number of executives have offered to take their public firms private by purchasing all the outstanding shares that they don't currently own, indicating to some analysts that stocks are deeply undervalued.
"To me, this is consistent with what we're seeing in terms of insider activity," said Michael Painchaud, director of research and principal at Market Profile Theorems. "Insiders are stepping up more aggressively to buy stock as opposed to sell stock."
On Monday, Quintiles Transnational (QTRN), which provides testing services to drugmakers, said its chairman, Dennis Gillings, had offered to buy the firm for $1.34 billion, or $11.25 a share, representing a 35% premium over last Friday's share price.That offer comes on the heels of a similar proposal from the CEO and president of trucking firm Landair Corp. (LAND). The two executives made a formal offer Friday to buy the company for $18.6 million, or $13 a share in cash -- a 25% premium over Thursday's stock price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV